Help Bring SEL to Your Kids and Community
It can be tough being a kid: academic pressure, peer pressure, bullying, exposure to drugs and violence. By itself, making kids better students won’t set them up for success in school or in life.
Kids need education in handling their social and emotional environment. Studies show that this social-emotional learning, or SEL, fuels success and happiness in school and in life.
Parents and caring adults play a huge role in guiding kids’ social and emotional development. So does our EQuip Our Kids! campaign.
Read on for ways that, together, we can advocate for social-emotional learning to help all kids succeed in every aspect of life.
Only 10 percent of K-12 schools have comprehensive SEL implementation. Here are easy ways you can advocate for widespread SEL adoption.
- Be sure to “like” our Facebook page.
- Say Yes to SEL by adding your name to our SEL Endorser’s list.
- Talk with other parents in your community about social-emotional learning. If they’d like more information, you can direct them to this web page you’re reading.
- Contact your school district administrators and board of education to get them behind social-emotional learning. For guidance on what to say, click here.
- Talk with your employer about supporting social-emotional learning in your local schools. For a PDF to share with your employer, click here.
- Contact your state legislators to get them behind social-emotional learning. Easy to do by clicking here. For guidance on what to say, click here.
- Introduce us directly to individuals of great influence you may know in all walks of life.
- Contact us to volunteer for a role in your community or state.
- Organize parents or parent organizations as advocates for SEL in local schools.