Decades of research show that emotional intelligence training in K-12 schools reverses by up to 90% high rates of classroom disturbances, bullying, violence, drug usage and dropouts and produces remarkable young people. It also:
We can now create a better future for our schools, our children and, in fact, for humanity itself, by teaching emotional intelligence to every child at an early age rather than just to the 10% who now benefit at their schools. Our movement to guarantee every child this education is a rare heart-based lever by which together we can make something huge happen in their lives and for society.
Donate to our vital community awareness Make-EQ-Happen-100% campaign and/or click on the Make EQ Happen button below which guides you to how to easily make the most positive difference possible – equipping the next generations with a proven tool to change their world, and ours, for the infinitely better.
“These are life skills any parent would want for a child [and] I think everyone should care about this,
not just parents. I want this for my community.”
– Daniel Goleman, popularizer and best-selling author of “Emotional Intelligence.”
TEN FACTS ABOUT EMPOWERING A CHILD WITH EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE click to see!/close
1. Higher EQ (emotional and social intelligence) is a better activator of quality lives and quality societies than higher IQ.
2. EQ can be learned. The fact that only 10% of schools are cultivating it means that 9 out of 10 students are being left behind. Likely a child close to you or whom you know.
3. Raising EQ often raises IQ with it.
4. Students who experience EQ-raising Social and Emotional Learning and get to practice it in immersive school settings tend to outperform those who don’t, thrive, be happy, achieve life success, and get a chance to be and experience their best selves.
5. Schools that prioritize implementing SEL into academic studies using best practices see all the good markers go up (engagement in learning, test scores, behavior, healthy emotional states and relationships with others, clarity of thinking, good decision making, creativity, communications skills, empathy, teacher satisfaction) and all the bad markers (violence, bullying, racial bias, drug usage, suicides, acting out behaviors, teacher abuse, mobile addiction) decline. Same for short and long-term social markers like mental health, crime, conflict, racial biases and poverty (Read More).
6. Why do only about 10% of schools in the country fully implemented SEL? Because most of the public doesn’t even know it exists. Hence little to no pressure on schools and legislators to get moving on implementing SEL.
7. It’s really dumb (low EQ) not to hasten EQ-raising SEL (great for adults as well) into every area of life, with no better place to start than all the schools.
8. Every parent wants the best for their child and most parents know their child is challenged in some way emotionally and socially. SEL tools, policies and practices were developed to make the shift possible for your child, for you, for your family.
9. Many employers are already providing adult social and emotional skills training for employees. Lots more employers – it’s becoming a wave now – are putting high EQ at the top of their hiring qualities.
10. There are easy ways you can help schools and legislators get on the case. See our Guides.
Look what can happen when we EQuip our kids with emotional intelligence, which is the ability to deal with themselves and others in a healthy way. Educators call these training programs and practices Social and Emotional Learning (SEL)
“I am happy to endorse the campaign because this is something we’ve needed for a long time.”
–Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti
MUST WATCH THIS ONE FIRST!
Interview with Daniel Goleman
When children develop emotional intelligence they problem solve and help each other.
They reinforce each other’s learning, relate to other people with understanding and empathy, resolve conflicts, and establish and maintain positive relationships and high academic results. And they are much happier!
The Big EQ Campaign’s “EQuip Our Kids! project is a mass public mobilization, advertising and marketing campaign to bring Social and Emotional Learning into every school’s curriculum and culture and thereby upgrade children’s prospects and U.S. schools’ performance dramatically while elevating overall American EQ and societal health.
The Big EQ is an independent non-profit organization in alliance with tax-deductible fiscal sponsor Earthways Foundation. It was founded by a group of business leaders who have been involved as social activists in youth development projects for years and is guided by some of the country’s highly knowledgeable leaders in the fields of Social and Emotional Learning and youth development.
In the absence of public knowledge of SEL’s extraordinary benefits, and therefore parent and public support, comprehensive, well-integrated, evidence-based SEL programs, practices and policies have been adopted by only a small percentage of American schools.
This is so even though SEL is likely the best and cheapest overall tool for education progress while transforming the fundamental ways of thinking and being that lead to many long-term mental and physical problems, social injustice, structural poverty, racial and class bias, crime, violence and other anti-social and unloving behaviors.
In fact, we are happy to make the case that no mission out there is more important to the long-term public good than elevating the human capacity to deal in a healthy way with ourselves and others. No facet of human life, no challenges we face, will go untouched by such progress.
There are dozens of companies and institutions offering to schools evidence-based programs designed to advance social and emotional learning. There are hundreds of other non-tested programs offered to schools and parents that range from comprehensive skills training, to helpful if partial after-school training, to online interactions to meditation.
Primarily created by child-development experts, educators, and university-based academics, these programs offer a range of materials and curricula to suit many different school contexts. Overall, they seek to catalyze a universe of schools that are supportive, joyful learning environments dedicated to helping what educators call “the whole child” to succeed.
Read about the programs below:
Research in neuroscience has proven that the brain has “plasticity,” meaning it can grow new synapses through repetition. Research has also identified that different areas of the brain control various functions. As a crucial example, severe negative emotional reactions are located and stimulated in one part of the brain while patience, elevated comprehension, empathy and understanding are functions of other areas of the brain.
Parents certainly and almost everyone else can play a role in bringing Social and Emotional Learning into all schools – and therefore over time bring the benefits and awareness into adult daily life. You can:
If ever a good cause deserved massive public support, comprehensive, properly implemented Social and Emotional Learning in all schools curriculum and culture would be a candidate. Its dual upsides – the wonderful immediate one for schools and kids and the spin-off positive societal upgrade – are unmatchable, with virtually no known downside.
Ideally, you will find an easy way to help move this lovely transformation along from pre-SEL (and low EQ) to SEL splendor everywhere (and high EQ).
The Big EQ Campaign, while being a fully independent non-profit organization, has been cultivating collaboration with and allies from the broader education, business and civic communities. We seek mutually supportive alliances with parent organizations, with business associations and individual businesses, with national and community organizations concerned with healthy child and economic development, and with public figures and influencers. We also have launched an Endorsers campaign.
Click “Read More” and, if inspired to ally or support, please Contact Us.