How to Get
Great Kids & Great Schools
Emotional intelligence (EQ) skills are THE most exciting game-changer ever for children…and the path to a far better future!
Look what can happen when we EQuip our kids with emotional intelligence, which is “the ability to deal with ourselves and others in a wonderful and healthy way.” Educators call EQ training programs and practices Social-Emotional Learning (SEL), which we’d like to see become a household term.
“I am happy to endorse the campaign because this is something we’ve needed for a long time.”
–Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti
“These are life skills any parent would want for a child [and] I think everyone should care about this, not just parents. I want this for my community.”
–Daniel Goleman, popularizer and best-selling author of “Emotional Intelligence.”
EQuip Our Kids! …and They’ll Change Our World
EQuip Our Kids! is about making sure every child experiences the phenomenal benefits of EQ training. Decades of research show that prioritizing emotional and social intelligence skills in K-12 schools has a profound effect on student performance and life success and is a huge factor in reducing societal ills, conflict, crime and personal distress. It also:
We need to create a better future for our schools and children – and for humanity itself – by providing the superb skills of emotional intelligence training to every child, not only to the 10% now benefiting. Our movement to guarantee this education for every student is a rare reason for optimism that something hugely good is possible on a mass scale for children, for workplaces, and for society.
EQuip Our Kids! is a vital nonprofit campaign to mobilize parents, businesses and the public to join a cause now supported by many thousands of educators across the country. The Your Role button below guides you to easy ways to make a tremendous difference in equipping all children with a proven tool to change their world (and ours along with it) dynamically for the better. We invite and need your participation AND/OR your donations. (View what donations buy.)
Ten Facts Everyone Should Know About Training In
1. Higher EQ (emotional and social “quotient” or intelligence) is a better predictor of quality lives and quality societies than higher IQ (intelligence quotient) – and EQ can be learned. click for #2-#10!
2. EQ and social skills training – best known to educators as “Social- Emotional Learning” (SEL)” – is the process via which children (and adults) acquire and effectively apply the knowledge, attitudes and skills necessary to understand and manage emotions, to be mindful, to set and achieve positive goals, to feel and show empathy for others, to establish and maintain positive relationships and communications, to resolve conflicts, to be resilient, and to make responsible decisions, among other inner and outer mastery skills.
3. Students who experience EQ-raising Social-Emotional Learning and get to practice it in immersive school settings tend to thrive, be happy, outperform those who don’t experience it, achieve life success, and get a chance to be their best selves.
4. Schools that prioritize implementing SEL into academic studies using best practices see all the good markers go up (engagement in learning, test scores, responsible behavior, healthy emotional states and relationships with others, clarity of thinking, good decision making, creativity, communications skills, empathy, teacher satisfaction) and all the bad markers decline (violence, bullying, racial and class bias, drug usage, suicides, acting out behaviors, teacher abuse, mobile addiction).
5. Well into adulthood SEL-trained students experience significantly lower rates of mental and physical health issues, crime, conflict, hard drug usage, racial biases, welfare and poverty than populations that do not experience SEL, lowering the cost of government and employer remedial programs. (Research Stats).
6. The fact that only 10% of schools are cultivating EQ means that a child close to you or whom you know is likely being left out.
7. Why do only about 10% of schools in the country fully implement SEL? Because most of the public doesn’t even know it exists. Hence little to no pressure on schools and legislators to get moving on prioritizing SEL even though long-term studies show it saves $11 to $15 per pupil in remedial costs and brain science has demonstrated why it is so effective.
8. It’s really low EQ not to hasten urgently-needed (by schools and by a society riddled with conflict, violence and mental and emotional health issues) EQ-raising SEL into every area of life, with no better place to start than all the schools (great for adults as well).
9. Every parent wants the best for their child and for the child to be able to deal with any situation with a positive attitude. Yet many if not most parents find their child challenged in some way emotionally or socially or both. SEL tools, policies and practices make possible a real shift for your child, for you, and for your family.
10. Many employers are already providing adult social and emotional skills training for employees. Lots more employers – it’s becoming a wave now – are putting high EQ at the top of their hiring qualities because higher EQ at the workplace demonstrably produces better performance and more satisfying work environments. See www.eiconsortium.org
There are easy ways you can help schools and legislators get on the case. See our Guides.
To close, click the opening link above.
See the Benefits for Yourself
MUST WATCH THIS ONE FIRST!
Interview with Daniel Goleman
When children develop emotional intelligence they problem solve and help each other.
They reinforce each other’s learning, relate to other people with understanding and empathy, resolve conflicts, and establish and maintain positive relationships and high academic results. And they are much happier!
The Big EQ Campaign was founded to undertake a mass public mobilization, advertising and marketing campaign to popularize the wonderful benefits to everyone of – and need for – universal emotional intelligence (EQ) training.
EQuip Our Kids! is our branding name for our immediate goal and focus, which is to bring EQ-raising Social-Emotional Learning (SEL), as many educators call such training, into every school’s curriculum and culture and thereby upgrade children’s prospects and U.S. schools’ performance dramatically, which will help elevate overall American EQ and societal health.
The Big EQ is an independent non-profit organization in alliance with tax-deductible fiscal sponsor Earthways Foundation. Our mission to promote the acquisition of emotional intelligence skills and attitudes (EQ) across the populace, starting with elevating the EQ of every child, is completely self-starting, with no remunerative goal or motive other than the success of our mission.
Big EQ was founded by a group of business leaders who have been involved as social activists in youth development projects for years, EQuip Our Kids! is guided by some of the country’s highly knowledgeable leaders in the fields of Social-Emotional Learning and youth development.
In the absence of public knowledge of SEL’s extraordinary benefits, and therefore parent and public support, comprehensive, well-integrated, evidence-based SEL programs, practices and policies have been adopted by only a small percentage of American schools.
This is so even though SEL is likely the best and cheapest overall tool for education progress while transforming the fundamental ways of thinking and being that lead to many long-term mental and physical problems, social injustice, structural poverty, racial and class bias, crime, violence and other anti-social and unloving behaviors.
In fact, we are happy to make the case that no mission out there is more important to the long-term public good than elevating the human capacity to deal in a healthy way with ourselves and others. No facet of human life, no challenges we face, will go untouched by such progress.
There are dozens of companies and institutions offering to schools evidence-based programs designed to advance social and emotional learning. There are hundreds of other non-tested programs offered to schools and parents that range from comprehensive skills training, to helpful if partial after-school training, to online interactions to meditation.
Primarily created by child-development experts, educators, and university-based academics, these programs offer a range of materials and curricula to suit many different school contexts. Overall, they seek to catalyze a universe of schools that are supportive, joyful learning environments dedicated to helping what educators call “the whole child” to succeed.
Read about the programs below:
Research in neuroscience has proven that the brain has “plasticity,” meaning it can grow new synapses through repetition. Research has also identified that different areas of the brain control various functions. As a crucial example, severe negative emotional reactions are located and stimulated in one part of the brain while patience, elevated comprehension, empathy and understanding are functions of other areas of the brain.
Parents certainly and almost everyone else can play a role in bringing Social and Emotional Learning into all schools – and therefore over time bring the benefits and awareness into adult daily life. You can:
If ever a good cause deserved massive public support, comprehensive, properly implemented Social and Emotional Learning in all schools curriculum and culture would be a candidate. Its dual upsides – the wonderful immediate one for schools and kids and the spin-off positive societal upgrade – are unmatchable, with virtually no known downside.
Ideally, you will find an easy way to help move this lovely transformation along from pre-SEL (and low EQ) to SEL splendor everywhere (and high EQ).
The Big EQ Campaign, while being a fully independent non-profit organization, has been cultivating collaboration with and allies from the broader education, business and civic communities. We seek mutually supportive alliances with parent organizations, with business associations and individual businesses, with national and community organizations concerned with healthy child and economic development, and with public figures and influencers. We also have launched an Endorsers campaign.
Click “Read More” and, if inspired to ally or support, please Contact Us.